National Child Abuse Prevention Month is a time to acknowledge the importance of families and communities working together to prevent child abuse and neglect, and to promote the social and emotional well-being of children and families. During the month of April and throughout the year, communities are encouraged to share child abuse and neglect prevention awareness strategies and activities and promote prevention across the country. To learn more details about National Child Abuse Prevention Month, go to this site: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
We wanted to share with you several staggering statistics:
- The number of children in foster care = 399,546
- The number that entered foster care = 254,162
- The number that exited foster care = 241,254
- The number waiting to be adopted = 101,719
- The number waiting to be adopted with public child welfare agency involvement = 52,039
* Statistics provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, and the Children’s Bureau.
Did you know?
- 51% of children in foster care reunified with their parents or primary care givers, and that 21% of youth were adopted.
- Nearly 60% of children in foster care in America wait 2 or more years to be adopted.
- Over 1/3 of youth in foster care are age 13 and older? In 2010 over 100,000 children in foster care in America are waiting to be adopted.
- That children and adolescents with foster care experience are diagnosed with PTSD at twice the rate of US war veterans.
- Of youth who age out of foster care, ¼ are incarcerated within 2 years and only ½ graduate from high school.
- Over 27.000 youth were emancipated from foster care in 2010 without reunifying with their families or being adopted.
* Statistics provided by the National Foster Care Coalition
We know that God can open the perfect doors and Trinity Kids is excited to continue to bring hope and joy to these children by helping to prevent child abuse. We ask that you would please be praying for our partnerships with local churches around the Dallas-Fort Worth area as we strive to reach more children.